Re: May I ask you some question

From: David Riley (oscar@the-rileys.net)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 20:27:12 EST

> Huang QingHua wrote:
>
> Dear:
> May I ask you some question?
> 1.I try to make a filesystem. But if my block size have to be 1M
> ,then what should I do ? Or is it possible?

I'm not sure why you'd want a block size of 1M, most block sizes tend to
be between 512 bytes and 4K.

> 2.When to reading a hardware page from disk and when to read a
> block from disk? Is there a order between them? just for a easy
> example. When I want to read a big file ,It seems to use getblk
> function (from my studying source code...) ,Is it right? When is
> reading a page called.

For an ordinary filesystem, I think you'd always want to read a block
from disk. Pages generally refer to memory (as in RAM or swap space),
not hard disk space, so I suppose you'd load a page from disk if you
were doing a virtual memory filesystem (but from your description it
sounds like you're doing an ordinary filesystem).