Re: Status of ReiserFS + Journalling

From: Andi Kleen (ak@suse.de)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 02:49:29 EST

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 09:39:34AM +0200, Vojtech Pavlik wrote:
> Hmm, now that I think about it, this can be brought to data corruption
> even easier ... Imagine a case where a stripe isn't written completely.
> One of the drives (independently whether it's the xor one or one the
> other one) has thus invalid data.
>
> Now how do you decide, after boot, which drive of the set, including the
> xor drive is it the one that contains the invalid data? I think this is
> not possible.

Normally only the parity block and the actually to be changed block in the
stripe are updated, not all blocks in a stripe set.

When no disk fails then to be changed block may still contain the old value
after a crash (not worse than the no RAID case). parity will be fixed up to
make the RAID consistent again. The other blocks are not touched.

-Andi