Tux 2 patents

From: Alain Williams (addw@phcomp.co.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 17:00:58 EST

Hi,

I remember when at the University of Cambridge (in England) about 25 years ago
seeing some work then about the Jackdaw (or was is Jackard) database system
that had the great feature of being immune to OS crashes, it used a phased
update mechanism where new blocks were written to disk and the last block
written was the one that contained the switched pointer, until this last block
had been written the changes had not been made. Since the write of a disk block
was atomic the database would never be corrupt.

If someone wants I think that I still have a (paper) copy of the report describing
this. I can send/fax a copy if wanted.

I don't subscribe to this list, so please reply direct if someone wants it.

(Please don't request a copy just out of curiosity since I don't want to have
to post/fax copies that won't help resolve this case by showing prior art.)

Cheers

--
Alain Williams