Re: poll(2) semantics changed in 2.4.0-? vs. 2.2.16?

From: Andi Kleen (ak@suse.de)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2000 - 22:45:38 EST

On Fri, Oct 06, 2000 at 02:13:45AM +0200, Martin Diehl wrote:
> So, for me the 2.4.0-test9 behavior does not only differ from 2.2 and what
> manpages say - I'm just wondering how to detect the unreachable peer port?
> poll()-timeout means no response at all, which is sth different and forces
> blocking for some time. Nonblocking recvfrom() without poll() wouldn't
> help, since the pending error isn't passed to it either.

Alexey Kuznetsov (kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru) changed it. Ask him why he did it,
I agree with you that it would make more sense to keep the old behaviour
(even though it is differing from most other BSD sockets implementations)

To answer your question: you'll only get the error reported now when the
UDP socket is either connect(2)ed or when you enabled asynchronous
error reporting using IP_RECVERR.

-Andi