Re: Tux 2 patents

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@vger.timpanogas.org)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2000 - 12:17:50 EST

On Sat, Oct 07, 2000 at 06:45:38PM +0200, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> Marty Fouts wrote:
> >
> Well, I like your version more than Jeff's because if you're right then
> I still have time to make a whitehat patent application for my better
> atomic commit method. What's a whitehat patent? It's one that helps
> fence in companies who want to use patented algorithms in closed source
> software. Whitehat patents will help convince the blackhats that it's
> in their interest to disallow algorithm patents and put things back the
> way they were before.

Daniel,

Do you want me to continue the patent attorney's analysis or not? If I'm
spending money to help you here, I would appreciate you not bouncing off the
walls. I am also having this guy put togther a provisional patent application
for your stuff, if you want to obtain a patent. You are not going to
change the USPTO, that's the system here, and like it or not, we all
just have to live with it. The USPTO's authority is consitutional in
it's basis regarding the rights of inventors (section 113), and unless
Congress and the Senate ammend the constitution, the USPTO and the rights
of inventors in the US will be protected.

The list lurker non-lawyer technocrats waiving web pages around don't
change the system, or provide the resources to help you.

Jeff