Re: Newer motherboards / CPU's / hardware with Linux

From: Mark Hahn (hahn@coffee.psychology.mcmaster.ca)
Date: Sat Oct 07 2000 - 13:10:31 EST

> kernel proper and working. If it *IS* ready now, what sort of
> Athlon hardware is recommended for a developmental machine?

I HIGHLY recommend duron/thunderbird, KT133, PC133, UDMA machines;
they work very well with modern (2.4) kernels. K6-2 machines are
not anywhere close to the same performance, and even low-end Durons
embarass FSB100-overclocked Celeron machines quite neatly.
a Duron/600 makes a great development workstation;
I haven't seen a reason to pay extra for a thunderbird.