Re: IEEE 1394 "Firewire"

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 07:43:28 EST

On Sun, 8 Oct 2000, David Riley wrote:

> "Richard B. Johnson" wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > Has anybody written a driver for the Western Digital (or similar)
> > PCI / Firewire adapter?
> >
> > If not, I'm going to have to write one. If it doesn't exist yet, should
> > the device be a block device or a character device? There are some new
> > very-fast disks that now use Firewire so this would seem to imply that
> > the most "logically-correct" interface would be a block device. However,
> > it's also used for cameras, scanners, printers, etc. Maybe there should
> > be a 'firewire core' with some generic devices built around it.
>
> Well, there's already firewire support in general... It would
> definitely be a block device, since Firewire is basically the next SCSI
> (large nubers of devices peer-to-peer (i.e. chained and hubless)
> architecture, fast communications) witht he major improvements of speed,
> connector size and hot-swappability. Is the firewire driver not
> backported to 2.2? It's definitely in 2.3/2.4 series.

It's not in 2.2.17. I will get the 'current' development kernel and
probably back-port it.

I gave up trying to use the development kernel because every two weeks
I would have to rewrite my 12 drivers. Also, the last time I checked
both the loop-device and the RAM Disk (both of which I need in my
embedded system) were broken beyond simple fixes.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.2.17 on an i686 machine (801.18 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.