Re: Calling current() from interrupt context

From: Ralf Baechle (ralf@uni-koblenz.de)
Date: Mon Oct 09 2000 - 06:16:03 EST

On Sun, Oct 08, 2000 at 04:36:09PM -0600, yodaiken@fsmlabs.com wrote:

> Looking at the code, I don't see any places where "current" is not valid.
> Got some examples?

More a design principle than a real problem.

> BTW: there is an implicit reference to "current" in smp_processor_id.

Which is valid because the process the current variable is pointing to is
always running on the current CPU, therefore it's implicitly locked and
can't just go away. Due to the existence of the idle process there is
also a guarantee that current always points to a valid process. Not much
guarantee of anything else for the current process - it might just be
exiting for example.

  Ralf