Re: 2.4.0-test9 + Winchip2/2A processor family == hang on boot

From: davej@suse.de
Date: Wed Oct 11 2000 - 08:26:08 EST

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Frank de Lange wrote:

> Solved the problem with Winchip not booting. It turns out they do not like the
> code generated by gcc (gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)) when the
> -march=i686 flag is set. Changing this flag to -march=i586 makes to box boot
> like it should.

Makes sense, i686 is used for PPro,P2 (and above) and Athlon.
Winchip is definitly not in their class :)
Cyrix III (which for all intents is a Winchip) should be another
story however.

> It seems the arch/i386/Makefile is incorrect in stating that these
> Winchips are in fact i686 compatible.

*nod* would make sense.
I can't remember if it was me that made this change or not, if so
I'll wear the bag this time :)

I actually thought that the i686 target was the same as the i586 target
with different instruction scheduling rules. Seems my judgement was off.
/me goes to read gcc docs

> Anyway, included is a small patch to solve these problems with Winchips.

Looks okay to me.
This isn't an issue on 2.2.x as we don't have the Winchip target there.

Good work :)

regards,

Dave.