Re: Updated 2.4 TODO List

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 18:38:16 EST

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:02:50 -0400,
"Chris Swiedler" <ceswiedler_lk@mindspring.com> wrote:
>But the kernel should be able to write directly to the screen, even if it's
>extremely minimal information. Something like how LILO does it: test the
>common hang-on-boot conditions (like wrong CPU type) and print a single
>character after each test.

You miss the point. The generated C code for any part of the kernel
can contains instructions that break on older boxes. Compiling bits of
the kernel in 386 and bits in 686 mode is not a long term solution, you
will be forever tracking down which bits can be compiled with which
options.

printk() itself is not reliable under these circumstances so you would
have to use a special I/O routine to log these problems. Also the code
that detects the problem must never use the new instructions itself.
That means the detect and warn code must be separate from the main
kernel, either as part of the boot loader or as part of the 16 bit
setup code. Any such code must not use printk() for IO.

BTW, your ISP is sending mail from a server with no reverse DNS. That
puts it in the same category as 99% of the spam sources on the net,
please ask them to fix their DNS.