Re: VM: do_try_to_free_memory failed for XXXX, 2.2.17, 2.2.18pre3

From: David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 09:23:51 EST

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 04:14:32PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 12:47:39AM +0200, Krzysztof Sierota wrote:
> > Marcelo Tosati assembled a kernel for us that had Andrea Arcangeli
> > patches applied and some other stuff that we needed, and the
> > machines are stable
>
> I recommend using 2.2.18pre15aa1 (without using nfsv3 in production
> for now).

I'd say that NOT using NFSv3 for production is nothing but folly.
The NFSv3 that's in v2.2.18pre15 seems to work VERY fine (we've beaten
quite heavily on it without being able to make it barf), and losing
all the benefits of NFSv3 in a productionenvironment where NFS is needed
isn't an option. I think we should be very lucky that we finally got the
NFSv3 client to work, and really encourage people to use it, because
Linux has a very bad reputation when it comes to NFS, and it's time to
prove to people that we don't suck as much as they believe... :^)

/David Weinehall
  _ _
 // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </