Re: A20 Gate enable sequence (setup.S)

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 12:40:36 EST

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Some boards (especially in the embedded PC area) implement only the
> > latter method (some don't even _have_ a keyboard controller).
> > With these boards, Linux fails to boot.
>
> Try the current 2.2.18pre. This has fast A20 too and I suspect will boot
> on your box. Its had no problems on 2.2.18pre reported against it so far. I've
> not done a 2.4 test patch but yours seems to be the sam ething
>
> AMD ELAN ?

The AMD/Elan box snoops for the sequence sent to the keyboard
controller to enable A<20>. However, it also respects the port
0x92 control. Linux-2.2.17 doesn't have the 0x92 control so
it must have been added recently.

The AMD/Elan chip also comes to life after a hardware reset with
A<20> enabled. So, if you don't turn it OFF, there won't be any
problem during the protected-mode transition.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.2.17 on an i686 machine (801.18 BogoMips).

obtained from the Micro$oft help desk.