Re: test10-pre2

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 14:22:35 EST

In article <20001013095414.A29108@twiddle.net>,
Richard Henderson <rth@twiddle.net> wrote:
>On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 08:15:46PM +0400, Ivan Kokshaysky wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 01:18:53PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> > See the arch/x86/mm/fault.c changes to see what arch-specific changes this
>> > can entail.
>> >
>> This patch works for me...
>
>You shouldn't have needed any changes at all to work.
>The synchronization we already do for the vptb also
>takes care of vmalloc.

Richard: I agree that the changes "shouldn't" be needed, but from
looking at the code, the alpha doesn't actually share the PGD entry for
vmalloc'ed memory at all.

The PGD is 1024 entries, and the last one is used by the self-mapping
stuff. But the VMALLOC area is NOT there - the self-mapping uses up one
complete PGD entry (it has to - it points to itself), and we don't set
up any other special vmalloc-entry that would be global from the start..

                Linus