Re: large memory support for x86

From: Timur Tabi (ttabi@interactivesi.com)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 14:30:12 EST

** Reply to message from Alexander Viro <viro@math.psu.edu> on Fri, 13 Oct 2000
15:25:31 -0400 (EDT)

> Ditto with PAE: 16:32->32->36.
> In _all_ cases you are limited by the size of linear address. I.e. all
> address modes are limited to 4Gb. All you can get from PAE is placing of
> these 4Gb in 64Gb of physical memory.

Then how are you supposed to access all 64GB of RAM in your machine? The
kernel must be able to access all 64GB of RAM at once, otherwise it can't do
proper memory management.

I've been reading on the PAE in Intel's manuals. I admit, some of it is over
my head. I was under the impression that it was 16:32->64->36 with PAE enabled.

--
Timur Tabi - ttabi@interactivesi.com
Interactive Silicon - http://www.interactivesi.com