Re: UMSDOS Problem with test10-pre2

From: Andrzej Krzysztofowicz (ankry@pg.gda.pl)
Date: Sat Oct 14 2000 - 09:33:08 EST

"Wayne.Brown@altec.com wrote:"
[...]
> Yenta IRQ list 06f8, PCI irq11
> Socket status: 30000006
> Intel PCIC probe: not found.
> 3c574_cs.c v1.08 9/24/98 Donald Becker/David Hinds, becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov.
>
> At this point with 2.3.51 I get these lines:
>
> UMSDOS 0.86 (compatibility level 0.4, fast msdos)
> check_pseudo_root: mounted as root
> check_pseudo_root: found //linux
> check_pseudo_root: found sbin/init, enabling pseudo-root
> UMSDOS: changed to alternate root
> VFS: Mounted root (umsdos filesystem) readonly.
>
> and the system finishes booting normally. But with later kernels, instead of
> these last few lines I get this:
>
> VFS: Mounted root (msdos filesystem) readonly.
> Warning: unable to open an initial console.
> Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.
>
> and the system hangs. No mention at all of umsdos or pseudo_root. Notice that
> it says it mounted root as msdos, not umsdos, so it makes sense that it can't
> find init (or anything else) on that file system.

UMSDOS is broken in 2.4 in few places.

You can try to change link sequence by placing
  umsdos.o
before
  msdos.o
in fs/Makefile.

Then you'll get UMSDOS being registered, and possibly an oops

As I remember, the pseudo-root feature doesn't work
(Certainly it did not work in test7 and I did not notice any patch for
it since that time)

Seems that it is unmaintained at the moment...

Andrzej