unfair stress on non memory allocating apps while swapout (in 2.4)

From: Bernd Eckenfels (ecki@lina.inka.de)
Date: Sat Oct 14 2000 - 23:16:26 EST

Hello,

with 2.4.0-test10-pre2 (possibly long before that version) i still can bring
the system to a halt while "tail /dev/zero" is running. I don't complain
that you can make a DOS by a trshing system, cause I can use ulimit to
actually avoid that.

But if i use the tail /dev/zero with nice as a normal user i can see my
memory fill u until all free pages are used (i can see that in iostat and
even in some nifty graphical process mons) and immediatelly in the same
second the system starts to swap out everything is locked rock solid. vmstat
is not printing out any line, x freezes dad and in the console i wont get a
response from the shell on pressing enter. Of course this only takes as long
as the proccess is killed. But still i wonder why the swap out is such
unfair to the rest of the system, especially to a process which is not
actually allocating memory at all.

Greetings
Bernd