ppp support in kernel

From: Chuck Radcliff (penguincafe@prodigy.net)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 09:55:05 EST

Hello all,

I am trying to work out a problem that I will run into if I go to a
newer kernel then 2.2.14. I am using a lucent modem in a toshiba
satellite laptop. Lucent released a bianary driver for 2.2.12 that works
with 2.2.14. To make it work with 2.2.15 or higher, you have to use a
script i found to mask a 2.2.14 ppp module as one for the higher kernel.

My question is, is there any plan in the futrue to try and remidy this
in the kernel?

I have read that this process will not work with 2.4.0 so it seems that
one of two things will have to happen...either it gets resolved in the
kernel or I buy a modem card and stick it in a slot (which I am trying
to avoid).

Any idea on this? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chuck Radcliff