Re: failure to blank CDRWs (2.2.18pre15 smp ide-scsi hp7100i)

From: Ricky Beam (jfbeam@bluetopia.net)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 11:10:24 EST

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Alan Cox wrote:
>> is in cdrecord itself, since I have seen that if the FIFO ever hits 0%
>> during CD burning, cdrecord has a tendency to bomb. =20
>
>If you empty the fifo and the drive fifo you burn a coaster. Thats a feature
>of CD burning and one reason I use 640Mb magneto opticals for testing CD
>stuff

Not entirely... there's a patented little thing called "BurnProof" that
allows the drive to continue burning after exhausting the buffer. And
if you look at the error most (some?) CD burners send on buffer underflow,
the error is "correctable". (Nothing ever _does_ correct it, tho')

>Its a message from the drive politely requesting cd-record to talk valid
>commands. But as ide-scsi touches some commands (remapping old ones that are
>not supported on ATAPI) its possible to be kernel

Umm, doesn't cdrecord know how to address IDE devices directly?

--Ricky