Re: failure to blank CDRWs (2.2.18pre15 smp ide-scsi hp7100i)

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Mon Oct 16 2000 - 15:14:54 EST

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Douglas Gilbert wrote:

> I if cdrecord bypassed the sg driver and spoke to the
> cdrom driver directly. I know the CDROM_SEND_PACKET
> ioctl() is in place for lk 2.4 but from which version
> has it been functional in the lk 2.2 series?

But the write command is not included in any source tree yet, and it works.

> Jens, do you know of some example code that shows the
> CDROM_SEND_PACKET ioctl being exercised for non-trivial
> work? Something that could be sent onto Joerg Schilling.

Jens is out of pocket and is somewhere over the Atlantic by now.
I may have to go and get him at the airport tonight.
We will have a month to fight between the two of us to get it correct.
I have all the devices local, there are some issues in getting things to
him because of availablity of early product development in the industry.

I expect by 10/20/2000 you will see Direct ATAPI published.

> > Aside: Browsing through the cdrecord 10a4 source does flag a specific
> > note in the mmc driver about ATIP not being supported on the 7100, but
> > seems to suggest that a failure to read the ATIP data's non-fatal...

/dev/hdf on /dvdrom type iso9660 (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
/dev/hde on /dvdram type ext2 (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

hdparm -i /dev/hde

/dev/hde:

 Model=MATSHITADVD-RAM LF-D210, FwRev=A106, SerialNo=
 Config={ Fixed Removeable DTR<=5Mbs DTR>10Mbs nonMagnetic }
 RawCHS=0/0/0, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=0
 BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=0
 (maybe): CurCHS=0/0/0, CurSects=0, LBA=yes, LBAsects=0
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:180,w/IORDY:120}, tDMA={min:120,rec:120}
 PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
 DMA modes: sdma0 sdma1 sdma2 mdma0 mdma1 *mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2
 Drive Supports : Reserved : ATA-4

This will be fun when it is released.
Imagine direct read/write access to DVD regardless of filesystems.
It should also do CD-RW's, but not tested.

Cheers,

Andre Hedrick
The Linux ATA/IDE guy