Re: [patch] 2.4 version of my duplicate IP and MAC detection patch

From: Werner Almesberger (Werner.Almesberger@epfl.ch)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 16:20:00 EST

Marc MERLIN wrote:
> Come on, Andi, it's not. You do DAD, you get your IP, I plug my laptop, use
> your IP, you don't even know it. My patch lets you know.
> The reason I wrote it is that I've seen this happen too many times already.

Also, if the network is not operational at the time you configure your
interface, you don't notice duplicates, even if everybody carefully
looks for them when bringing up or changing interfaces.

This is a rather common situation at meetings, where wireless cards are
mis-configured, hubs have no power, some of the cables are broken, and
people who are blissfully unaware of any address allocation procedure
enter the room and instantly try to set up their machines. (And of
course nobody had time to prepare a DHCP server.)

Thumbs up from me.

- Werner