Re: ide-scsi + /dev/dsp == solid lockup

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 16:49:05 EST

> Makes me wonder why my PIIX3 (i430HX) Tyan Tomcat IVD has never had a
> problem with an ISA SoundBlaster AWE32 even with Passive Release enabled
> and such devices as PCI TV cards, PCI Ethernet controllers, and ISA modems
> in it. I've burned CD's on an IDE HP CD-Writer+ (hdb) from an IBM hard
> drive (hdc) while listening to MP3's as well. Luck?

Well the TV cards I know about actually have 'dont break on triton' hardware
and a bit flag to enable it. I don't know precisely what is needed to cause
the problem but its not as simple as 2 bus masters and you die.

For one if it had been simple circumstances Intel would have caught it before
production 8)

Alan