Re: Patch to remove undefined C code

From: Richard Henderson (rth@twiddle.net)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 17:34:47 EST

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 10:40:12AM +0100, Bernd Schmidt wrote:
> > I compiled using "gcc -S -Wall -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -m486" to generate
> > the assembler code. The old code is 17 instructions long and the new code
> > is 11 instructions. As well as being shorter, simple timing test indicate
> > that the new code is significantly quicker.
>
> This is something the compiler ought to know about.

Ought to, but we mostly only rewrite addresses like that inside loops.
You might be able to convince CSE to massage that sort of thing, but I
imagine it would be ugly.

It would be cool though -- get everything into direct offset form as
much as possible might even make it easier to transform it all back
to autoinc if the target supports that sort of thing.

r~