Re: CDROMPLAYTRKIND in 2.4.X

From: Mark Cooke (mpc@star.sr.bham.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Oct 17 2000 - 18:25:04 EST

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Thomas Molina wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Jens Axboe wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 17 2000, Thomas Molina wrote:
> > > CD Recording seems to work correctly under 2.4.0-test10-pre3. I'm using
> > > cdrecord 1.9 with a Phillips CDD3610. However, playing back an audio cd
> > > using cdp gives the following error:
> > >
> > > sr0: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.
> > > CDROMPLAYTRKIND: Operation not supported
> >
> > cd app players can't use CDROMPLAYTRKIND and expect it to always work.
> > It will fail on most setups with ide-scsi
>
> Judging from past history I'd say the users are going to be told to bug
> the app maintainers to tell them it's broken Jim. It always comes out
> sounding a bit harsh.

Similar situation with 2.2.x / ide-scsi. The Gnome planel applet just
tries CDROMPLAYTRKIND, and fails. Firing off gtcd will let you play
the cd, because it (presumably) does things 'right'.

Haven't been bothered enough by the panel applet's glitch to fix it
myself - I don't leave it running because of the periodic disk
checking and corresponding syslog spammage.

Regards,

Mark