Re: three kernel trees?

From: Nathan Straz (nstraz@sgi.com)
Date: Wed Oct 18 2000 - 15:34:47 EST

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 06:13:34PM -0600, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> Kenneth Johansson wrote:
> > "Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:
> > > This does not solve the problem of integration testing, but eh solution
> > > here is to create an integration test group whose sole charter is to
> > > test modules in an integrated framework as they roll off the assembly
> > > line. I am speaking from my commercial software development experienes
> >
> > Good luck finding anyone doing this job. It's hard to make people write
> > documentation this is going to be impossible. This is a solution that works if you
> > can pay people but I don't think it's going to work when volunteers is doing it.
>
> Well. It gets done today, so who is doing this today?

To what extent? Integration testing with as much hardware as possible?
The community as a whole does that. Automated integration testing?
Please step forward for recognition if you are.

Automated functional testing of the kernel? Yes, SGI is working on
that. We still have a lot of work to do to get reasonable coverage, but
we do have employees testing Linux. We have released some tests and a
simple test driver under the Linux Test Project.

If anyone has tests they would like to contribute to LTP, please send
them to me. I will try to get the tests integrated into an automated
system. The way I see it, if we can pull all of the home grown tests
out of the wood work, we will have a better testing system than the
defacto "build the kernel" system.

--
Nate Straz                                              nstraz@sgi.com
sgi, inc                                           http://www.sgi.com/