Re: 2.4.0-test10-pre3:Oops in mm/filemap.c:filemap_write_pa

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 18:10:29 EST

   From: Russell King <rmk@arm.linux.org.uk>
   Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 00:07:55 +0100 (BST)

   Trond Myklebust writes:
> It's probably particularly nasty under NFS because of
> invalidate_inode_pages(). The latter empties the page cache whenever
> we can no longer trust it and calls remove_inode_page() on every
> unlocked page. It won't care whether the page is mmapped or not.
>
> My guess is therefore that the line setting 'page->mapping = NULL' in
> __remove_inode_page() is a candidate for scrutiny...

   Indeed. page->mapping is set to NULL in two places, one in
   __remove_inode_pages() and the other one in the swap code after we've
   checked that it was NULL. I hadn't found the particular call trace
   that caused us to ended up in __remove_inode_page() though with this
   page.

Actually, judging by the trace you provided Russell, I'd say this is
some peculiarity with NFS silly rename handling, and it'd be best to
look for the bug in that code (early inode reference loss, for
example?)

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com