Re: about time-slice

From: Dan Maas (dmaas@dcine.com)
Date: Thu Oct 19 2000 - 18:48:29 EST

> I have a question about the time-slice of linux, how do I know it, or how
> can I test it?

First look for the (platform-specific) definition of HZ in
include/asm/param.h. This is how many timer interrups you get per second (eg
on i386 it's 100). Then look at include/linux/sched.h for the definition of
DEF_COUNTER. This is the number of timer interrupts between mandatory
schedules. By default it's HZ/10, meaning that the time-slice is 100ms (10
schedules/sec). (of course the interval could be longer if kernel code is
hogging the CPU; the scheduler won't run until the process leaves the kernel
or sleeps explicitly...)

Experts, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,
Dan