Re: bind() - Old/Current behaviour - Change?

From: Andrey Savochkin (saw@saw.sw.com.sg)
Date: Fri Oct 20 2000 - 02:02:26 EST

[cc list trimmed]

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 09:52:30PM +1000, Cefiar wrote:
[snip]
> ... what is really necessary,
> which is to simply not allow the programs to bind to the addresses in the
> first place. Unfortunately to implement this sort of thing in god knows how
> many user space programs looked like too much re-inventing of the wheel.
>
> What I'm sort of envisioning is a small API (and user space interface
> program) that can maintain lists like this for 2 sorts of instances:
> - Global conditions
> - Per-process conditions
[snip]

I think that it's a good idea.
The only question is whether such lists and conditions, and such a big degree
of flexibility belongs to the kernel space.
Isn't it better just to pass almost all bind() calls through a special daemon
for systems which want non-trivial bind policies?

Best regards
                Andrey