Re: bind() allowed to non-local addresses

From: Alberto Bertogli (albertogli@altavista.net)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2000 - 09:49:16 EST

On Thu, Oct 19, 2000 at 12:30:52AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Assuming that my "compatibility argument" is not considered valid. What
> > I really need is some good ammunition for going back to Sun to ask them
> > to change the JRE spec -- like some significant kernel features or Linux
> > applications that relies on this new bind() behavior.
>
> The XNS specification seems loose enough to allow the Linux behaviour. I don't

I cant see why..

> think we should however adopt it as default behaviour. Programs that dont care
> about addresses use INADDR_ANY.

IMHO it does _not_ allow Linux behaviour:

----(Snipped from SUS)----

NAME

bind - bind a name to a socket

[...]

RETURN VALUE

Upon successful completion, bind() returns 0. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno
is set to indicate the error.

ERRORS

The bind() function will fail if:

[...]

[EADDRNOTAVAIL]
The specified address is not available from the local machine.

So binding to a non-local ip address shouldnt be allowed because it "is not
available from the local machine"; even if the machine has a dynamic ip.

Alberto Bertogli
albertogli@altavista.net