re: K6-2+ name (was Re: AMD CPU misdetection?)

From: davej@suse.de
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 19:46:12 EST

In the words of Barry K. Nathan :

> > Why they didn't call it K6-4 is anyones guess.
> I read somewhere (I don't have a URL handy, sorry) that the reason AMD
> went with K6-2+ is that, apparently, the K6-2 name is well-known, and
> they wanted to build on that...

Sounds like a marketing thing.
Not really an excuse imo. The "Oh, K6-4. I must upgrade" brigade would've
justified the name for more than confusing people. At least K6-2+
is mostly used in laptops from what I've seen, so the confusion is
limited.

Maybe there just wasn't enough architectural difference between the
K6-3 & the K6-2+ to justify calling it the K6-4. AFAIR, the powersaving
speed changing is the only thing thats changed.

I'm buying a K6-2+ laptop tomorrow, so I guess I'll find out more then :)

davej;