Re: syslog() blocks on glibc 2.1.3 with kernel 2.2.x

From: Patrick J. LoPresti (patl@cag.lcs.mit.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 15:35:52 EST

"David S. Miller" <davem@redhat.com> writes:

> I did not say whether such calls block or not, during memory
> allocation they might.

I do not get your meaning. By "block" I meant wait for some external
event (like another process or machine). As in, the kind of behavior
which can result in deadlock if two things "block" while trying to
talk to each other.

> Look, show me how memcpy() can drop a packet and then we can
> continue on about whether SOCK_DGRAM on AF_UNIX should behave one
> way or the other ok? :-) Because this is all that AF_UNIX is,
> memcpy, like a pipe.

I know what AF_UNIX sockets are. I am talking about semantics, not
implementation. Sure, memcpy() doesn't drop packets, but whatever is
listening to the other side of the connection might be slow or
non-responsive. I would expect SOCK_DGRAM to drop packets in this
case.

Perhaps this expectation is wrong, but I don't think it is idiotic.
And I am genuinely curious to know what other Unixes do.

 - Pat