linux 2.2.18-pre17: "Kernel panic: LRU list corrupted"

From: H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 16:20:17 EST

Hi there,

I wanted to let you know that I was trying 2.2.18-pre17 on
hera.kernel.org, a uniprocessor with an SMP motherboard. After about six
hours, it went catatonic, responding to pings and TCP SYNs but not doing
anything that required user space.

On the console, it had multiple copies of the message:

"Kernel panic: LRU list corrupted" [fs/buffer.c:438]

... but no register dump.

I have fallen back to 2.2.17 and it has run stably for a few days now.

        -hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt