Re: make -j 2 broken?

From: David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 20:14:41 EST

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 05:22:22PM -0400, Wakko Warner wrote:
> > Trying to compile the current kernel (test10-pre4) with:
> >
> > > make clean
> > > make -j 2 bzImages modules modules_install
> >
> > will try to install the modules before they are built...
> > This has previously been working (at least in early testX kernels).
>
> I've done it before when I wasn't thinking, since it parallels those,
> modules_install just calls modules_install. AFAIK, it doesn't depend on
> modules actually being compiled.
>
> Typically, I do:
> make -j 20 dep;make -j 20 bzImage modules;make modules_install
>
> Yes, I've heard about the paralleled dep problem (there was one, right?),
> but it hasn't effected me.

Or even better, to be sure you don't get any unpleasant surprises:

make -j 20 dep && make -j 20 bzImage modules && make modules_install

/David
  _ _
 // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </