Re: 2.4.0test10pre4 lockups

From: Craig Schlenter (craig@qualica.com)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2000 - 11:03:57 EST

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 11:23:47AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
[snip, ide bootup troubles with ALI M1533 chipset ...]
> Could you please do two tests (you can do these at the same time, and in
> fact it might be easier, if #2 causes your machine to boot up):
>
> - Please enable debugging in PCI (both in drivers/pci/pci.c and in
> arch/i386/kernel/pci-i386.h), and post a full printout.
> - leave the "pci_enable_device()" line intact, but do not do a "return"
> on failure (so if pci_enable_device() fails for some reason, we still
> do the rest of the setup).

Just a quick follow-up on l-k since Linus has been helping me debug this
and I keep forgetting to CC l-k with the results. Sorry.

It appears as if the pci irq routing code is broken for the 1533 (at
least on my machine). The 'fix' so far (pending documentation for the
1533 appearing .. if you have a copy, please yell), is to comment out
the line in arch/i386/kernel/pci-irq.c that contains the entry for ALI
in pirq_routers[] - on my machine it uses the 'default' router then
and it works.

If anyone else is seeing boot problems with test10pre4 and up with a
ALI M1533 chipset, please try this and post the result to the list.

Thank you,

--Craig