Re: lock_kernel() in kernel thread

From: Eric Lowe (elowe@myrile.madriver.k12.oh.us)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 07:05:46 EST

Hello,

lock_kernel() is a reentrant spinlock that is meant to protect
all code that's not SMP safe. In 2.2, this is a good part of the
kernel; in 2.4, it's not very much at all. (It's reentrant
because it can be held across calls to schedule(), a normal
spinlock can't and would deadlock the system if you did that)

Eric

--
Eric Lowe
Software Engineer, Systran Corporation