Re: test10-pre4: deadlock in VM?

From: Roger Larsson (roger.larsson@norran.net)
Date: Wed Oct 25 2000 - 16:52:08 EST

Hi,

I noted that even try_to_free_buffers locks lru_list_lock.
Then it tries to lock some others - maybe one of the other treads
got one of those (hash_table_lock, free_list[index].lock)
It fits with that proc 4 it executes in the beginning of
try_to_free_buffers, does it move?
Or is it stuck at a spin lock there - which one? disassembly of
try_to_free_buffers?

/RogerL

Rajagopal Ananthanarayanan wrote:

> Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> >
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > When running SPEC SFS tests against 2.4.0-test10-pre4 on a 4-way SMP
> > machine with 6G RAM (highmem+PAE enabled) I got
> >
> > __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed.
> >
> > (probably coming from nfsd, why don't we print eip of the caller there?)
> >
> > and the machine locked up (but pingable). So I entered kdb and got stack
> > traces of all running proceeses:
>
> Hmm. It appears that some of the processes are stuck on this
> part of page_launder:
>
> /*
> * Re-take the spinlock. Note that we cannot
> * unlock the page yet since we're still
> * accessing the page_struct here...
> */
> spin_lock(&pagemap_lru_lock);
>
> It will be interesting to see what's going on in each of the cpus.
> Use "cpu x" x=0,1,2,3 on your 4 cpu system to switch to cpu x,
> and just type "bt" on each cpu. Also, it will be good to see what
> kswapd (pid 2) is upto ...

Home page:
  http://www.norran.net/nra02596/