Re: Negative scalability by removal of lock_kernel()?(Was: Strange performance behavior of 2.4.0-test9)

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.org)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2000 - 01:32:39 EST

Linux has lots of n-sqared linear list searches all over the place, and
there's a ton of spots I've seen it go linear by doing fine grained
manipulation of lock_kernel() [like in BLOCK.C in NWFS for sending async
IO to ll_rw_block()]. I could see where there would be many spots
where playing with this would cause problems.

2.5 will be better.

Jeff