Re: Off-Topic (or maybe on-topic)

From: David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se)
Date: Fri Oct 27 2000 - 08:17:53 EST

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 04:05:50PM +0300, Petko Manolov wrote:
> David Weinehall wrote:
> >
> > You're VERY wrong here. St. Petersburg was the name before the Soviet
> > Union was formed and Russia marched into the Baltics. When the takeover
> > was made, the city was renamed Leningrad (after V.I. Lenin). When the
> > Soviet Union finally fell to pieces and the Baltics retained their freedom,
> > St. Petersburg retained its old name, which it got (if I'm not all wrong)
> > from Peter the Great.
>

> AFAIK Tigran is born in the Soviet Union and i thing he knows
> the history of his own country better ;-)

Uhmmm. You known, being born in the Soviet Union (not a country in its
strictest sense), doesn't necessarily mean you know its history. And
considering that the span of the SSSR was quite enormous...

Anyhow:

The city was originally called Nyen and was formed by Swedes. 1703,
Peter the Great invaded the city, and 1712 the city became the capital
of Russia, named St. Petersburg. The name remained St. Petersburg until
1914, when it was renamed Petrograd. 1918, Moscow was made the capital
of Russia, and 1924 the city got renamed again, this time to Leningrad.

> Anyway, i am bulgarian and i also am used to call St. Petersburg
> Leningrad ;-))

Well, it's time for me, as a Swede, to begin calling it Nyen?!

Oh, let's end this silly debate. I'm getting sorry I even brought it
up.

/David
  _ _
 // David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /> Northern lights wander \\
// Project MCA Linux hacker // Dance across the winter sky //
\> http://www.acc.umu.se/~tao/ </ Full colour fire </