Re: Blocked processes <=> Elevator starvation?

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.org)
Date: Sun Oct 29 2000 - 17:20:44 EST

I am posting the completed NWFS 2.4.4 tommorrow, and it NEVER exhibits
this lockup problem on the console, no matter how busy the I/O subsystem
underneath becomes. I think this is probably because I use my own
elevator and LRU and don't use Linus's buffer cache. Whatever is
causing it I would guess is related to the way the buffer cache
interacts with ll_rw_block(). It's NOT in the VFS since if it were, I
would be seeing it as well, and I don't. I do see it when I use the
buffer cache with LINUX_BUFFER_CACHE = 1. I think it may be related to
the bdflush daemon and the way it interacts with ll_rw_block(). The
whole buffer cache needs some serious rework anyway, since it's physical
and not logical, and clustered file systems that use it will always be
buffering multiple data on the systems accross a cluster. We need
something that uses a logical partition semantic.

Jeff