Re: 2.2.18Pre Lan Performance Rocks!

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 06:31:38 EST

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> Ingo, This original thread was regarding Linux vs. NetWare 5.x
> performance metrics and responses from Linux folks about how to affect
> and improve them, not a diatribe on the features of TUX.

oh, i believe you misunderstand. TUX itself is quite simple. But it
extended the Linux TCP stack and scalability to new levels (which has
nothing to do with TUX itself, it's the scalability of the Linux
networking stack that evolved gradually over the past 10 years - we spend
95% of the time outside of TUX!). And if you claim that Linux needs this
and that for scalability, then i'd like to point you humbly towards those
existing, generic and well-performing results. TUX is just a 5% 'HTTP
protocol fluff' around the generic stuff.

        Ingo