Recommended compiler? - Re: [patch] kernel/module.c (plus gratuitous rant)

From: Linux Kernel Developer (linux_developer@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 06:19:16 EST

So which is the recommended compiler for each kernel version 2.2.x,
2.4.x(pre?) nowadays? I've pretty much kept gcc 2.7.2.3 around just for
compiling the kernel however now I hear you need egcs to compile 2.4? I
don't mind keeping 2.7.2.3 around in its own installation directory just for
the purpose of doing kernel work however from a previous post I've now got
the impression that egcs has become the recommended compiler? If I'm going
to keep a secondary compiler around (outside of gcc 2.95.2 which I still
hear is no good for kernel compiles) just for kernel work I'd prefer to use
my disk space on the recommended one.