Re: Need info on the use of certain datastructures and the first C++ keyword patch for 2.2.17

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 13:16:44 EST

> 2.4 symbol generation code never sees the C++ names, 2.5 code might.
> To detect a mismatch between kernel headers and the module version
> file, I have to generate the checksum for the consumer of the symbol
> (C++) as well as the generator of the symbol (C) and compare them.

These are structure field names. They aren't part of a symbol and are only
part of your checksum computation which is done on the C headers so a constant.

If we were renaming variables or actual objects I'd agree. But structure names
are fine so long as we only use C names for the module checksum computation