Re: test10-pre7

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 19:47:15 EST

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> Old-style Makefiles are playing dirty tricks with defining
> L_TARGET and then using O_TARGET for linking some onjects into
> an intermediate object.

Actually, I think I have an even simpler solution, which is to change the
newstyle rule to something very simple:

        # Translate to Rules.make lists.

        O_OBJS := $(obj-y)
        M_OBJS := $(obj-m)
        MIX_OBJS := $(export-objs)

        # The global Rules.make.

        include $(TOPDIR)/Rules.make

And you're done..

Does anybody see anything wrong with this approach?

It's kin dof cheesy, but I think it should work. The magic is that by
avoiding OX_OBJS and MX_OBJS, we avoid all the sorting issues. We
basically lie, and say that we don't have anything like that.

Then, MIX_OBJS picks up the stragglers, and makes sure that we consider
the proper files to be SYMTAB_OBJS.

This works for me for USB (ie just remove all the stuff with "int-y" and
multi's etc). Does it work for anybody else?

                Linus