Re: test10-pre7

From: Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 21:58:38 EST

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Keith Owens wrote:

> You will compile all export objects, whether they are configured or
> not. The "obvious" fix does not work.
>
> MIX_OBJS := $(filter $(export-objs),$(obj-y) $(obj-m))
>
> export_objs contains usb.o, obj-y contains usb_core.o, it does not
> contain usb.o. Multi lists in obj-y and obj-m need to be expanded
> while preserving the required link order (which is where we came in).

No. We can expand multi-lists at ANY OTHER POINT than O_OBJS. That's ok.
It's only O_OBJS that has any ordering issues.

And we just shouldn't use OX_OBJS at all, as that breaks ordering _and_
can be done equally well with MIX_OBJS instead.

> It still does not document the only real link order constraint in USB.
> The almost complete lack of documentation on which link orders are
> required and which are historical is extremely annoying and _must_ be
> fixed, instead we just propagate the problem.

We can add a comment to the Makefile. That's trivial.

What's not trivial, and what I WANT DONE is to make sure that _when_
somebody wants to maintain link ordering, he can do so in an easy and
obvious way. Not with Yet Another Hack.

                Linus