Re: UDMA/66 Data Corruption on SiS530

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 00:42:07 EST

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Steven Walter wrote:

> Recently, when trying to use UDMA/66 on my SiS 530 and
> WD84AA, I got some data corruption. At first, I tried
> with "UDMA Enabled" set to off in the BIOS, because I
> had known this to previously cause problems. However,
> like this, I couldn't set the harddrive to use UDMA
> mode4 (-X68). I would set it, it would appear
> successful, check with hdparm -i, and it would still
> say mode2. Additionally, there was no speed increase
> after the -X68.

Check your logs and see if their is a speed setting block issued, only if
you are using patched 2.2x or 2.4.0x kernels will this report be
generated.

> Before, on a 40-conductor cable, I was getting 11MB/s
> with hdparm -t . I bought an 80-conductor cable
> today, and saw no speed improvement in mode2, which is

This clear indicates a problem in the device pairing or you have not
enable the entire driver.

> the only mode I can set it to. Something that striked
> me as odd about the cable, though, is that the red
> wire was broken between the Drive 1 socket and the
> Drive 0 socket. Is this to differentiate the two?

Explain...

> Anyway, what's interesting is what happens after I
> turned "UDMA Enabled" on in the BIOS. Upon booting,
> everything appeared normal until just before X
> started. At this point, I got a
>
> dma_intr: hda: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete
> Error}
> error=0x0 { }
>
> I'm not sure about the numbers, but I am sure about
> the texts. The drive said there was an error, but no
> error was set. After fooling around with hdparm
> (setting the drive to -X68, timing it, etc) I got a
> few more identical errors. Then, I started getting
> errors from EXT3-fs regarding invalid/corrupt data.

If you are using "EXT3-fs" journalling and your write cache is not
disable, you are TOAST! I just now got the drive venders to auto-update
the contents of the identify page that reports the features set and
masked.

Regards,

Andre Hedrick
CTO Timpanogas Research Group