Re: test10-pre7

From: Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 03:18:18 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> >
> > Ya know, sorting those lists causes this problem, too... usb.o is
> > listed first in the various lists, as is usbcore.o. Is it possible to
> > avoid sorting? Doing so will fix this, and also any other link order
> > breakage like this that exists, too.
>
> This is the right fix. We MUST NOT sort those things.
>
> The only reason for sorting is apparently to remove the "multi-objs"
> things, and replace them with the object files they are composed of.

No. It is NOT the only reason.

Some driver have a "lowerlevel" driver that needs to be included or
can be loaded as a module whenever the driver is enabled.

This happens to be the case with sx, rio and generic_serial. So both
SX and RIO, when enabled pull in generic_serial, which gets sorted out
by the sort-and-uniqify.

I used to have horrendously complicated Makefile rules to get this
right, but this was simplified enormously by the "eliminate duplicate
objects" that is now in the Makefiles.

                        Roger.

*       Common sense is the collection of                                *
******  prejudices acquired by age eighteen.   -- Albert Einstein ********