Re: 2.2.17 & VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed / eepro100

From: octave klaba (oles@ovh.net)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 11:40:35 EST

> Oct 31 12:12:25 mail-client kernel: VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for
> sendmail
> Oct 31 12:12:26 mail-client last message repeated 60 times
> Oct 31 12:12:26 mail-client kernel: VM: do_try_to_free_pages failed for
> kupdate.
>
> To agree with Octave, this only appears to happen under load - over weekends
> (our quiet periods) the syslog is nearly empty. In extremis it has been
> necessary to reboot the machine by kicking the power button.

on our servers it arrived only when the swap is used. for exemple:
there is too many requests on the web server, machine begins to swap,
after 3-4 minutes we have the first VM errors. it is too late.
the solutions: reboot server / unplug cable / cut port 80 on the router
and wait ... after 3-4 minutes server rebegins to work finely. If you do
not touch the swap you have never this problem. another solution is to
put lot of ram ;)

Octave