Re: 2.2.18Pre Lan Performance Rocks!

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.org)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 15:13:45 EST

"Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:

> Pavel Machek wrote:
> >
> > Hi!

> > > And please check your numbers, 857 million
> > >
> > > Excuse me, 857,000,000 instructions executed and 460,000,000 context
> > > switches
> > > a second -- on a PII system at 350 Mhz. It's due to AGI
> > > optimization.
> >
> > That's more than one context switch per clock. I do not think
> > so. Really go and check those numbers.
>
> Pavel, The optimization exploits the multiple piplines in Intel's
> processors,
> and yes, it does execute more than one instruction per clock, it's
> optimized
> to execute in the processors parallel pipelines. The EMON numbers are
> accurate,
> and you can download the kernel and verify for yourself. These types of
> optimizations
> are possible when people have acccess to Intel Red Cover documents, then
> you
> get to know just how Intel's internal architectures are affected by
> different coding optimizations.
>
> Jeff

There's also another optimization in this kernel that allows it to
achieve greater than
100% scaling per processor by using a strong affinity algorithm (I hold
the patent
on this algorithimn, and by posting code based on it under the GPL, I
have released
it to the general public).

It relies on an anomoly in the design of Intel's cache controllers, and
with memory based
applications, I can get 120% scaling per procesoor by jugling the
working set of
executable code cached accros each processor. There's sample code with
this kernel
you can use to verify....

:-)

Jeff