Re: 2.2.18Pre Lan Performance Rocks!

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.org)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 17:38:00 EST

Larry McVoy wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 03:15:37PM -0700, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> > The quality of the networking code in Linux is quite excellent. There's
> > some scaling problems relative to NetWare. We are firmly committed to
> > getting something out with a Linux code base and NetWare metrics. Love
> > to have your help.
>
> Jeff, I'm a little concerned with some of your statements. Netware may
> be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it isn't a full operating
> system, so comparing it to Linux is sort of meaningless.

It's makes more money in a week than Linux has ever made.

  Consider your
> recent context switch claims. Yes, I believe that you can do the moral
> equiv of a longjmp() in the kernel in a few cycles, but that isn't a
> context switch, at least, it isn't the same a context switch in the
> operating system sense.
A context switch in anoperating system context in it's simplest for is

mov x, esp
mov esp, y

It's different - last I checked, Netware was
> essentially a kernel and nothing else.

Is there a file system?
Several.

  Are there
> processes with virtual memory?
Yes.

  Are they preemptive?
Yes.

  Does it support
> all of P1003.1?
Yes.

Etc. If the answers to all of the above are "yes"
> and you can support all that and get user to user context switches in a
> clock cycle, well, jeez, you really do walk on water and I'll publicly
> apologize for ever doubting your statements.

Apology accepted.

Jeff