Re: 2.2.18Pre Lan Performance Rocks!

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@elte.hu)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 19:47:20 EST

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

> Odd. When I profile Linux with EMON, I see tons of them. Anywhere code
> does
>
> mov eax, addr
> mov [addr], ebx

AGIs were a real problem on P5 class Intel CPUs. On P6 core CPUs, most
forms of addresses (except memory writes) do not generate any AGIs. And
the AGI on P6 cores does not keep up the pipeline, unless you reuse the
same address. (which would be stupid in most cases) I bet Crusoe's have no
AGIs at all. Do you see the trend in CPU design?

        Ingo