Re: tnt uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)

From: Tigran Aivazian (tigran@veritas.com)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 07:54:01 EST

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, f5ibh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Nov 1 12:09:12 debian-f5ibh kernel: tnt uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)
>
> I got often this message, it is harmless (seems to be). What does it means ?

it means it uses old support for PACKET sockets in PF_INET protocol
family, i.e. a call like socket(PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET,0) instead of the
special protocol family for this purpose called PF_PACKET. If you truss
tcpdump you will see something like this:

socket(PF_PACKET, SOCK_DGRAM, 0) = 3

which answers why you no longer get messages like "tcpdump uses
obsolete..." i.e. new tcpdump (as of a few years ago) does the right thing
(while your tnt, whatever that might be, doesn't).

Regards,
Tigran